I finally finished The Body Book. It was such a great book and I am so happy I picked it up! Now, I know what you are thinking … “another diet book, another exercise regimen, etc., etc.” Nope! Not the case. It is none of that. It is basically a users manual to your body. It is a book that breaks down how your body works and why your body works the way it does. Yes, there are some suggestions of foods to eat, exercises to do, but it’s not all about that.
I will be honest, this book is pretty much anatomy class all over again, BUT it’s so much more interesting this time around. I promise 🙂 Maybe it was more interesting and the information stuck with me more, because I am actually interested. Or maybe because I’m not thinking about passing notes in class and what I am doing on Friday night 🙂 Also, it helps that the book was written by Cameron Diaz, not another textbook author. It’s real life explanation. A lot of the information you read, you already know, but it’s explained to you, so you UNDERSTAND.
I love how this book was broken down. The first section was all about nutrition …
- Water intake! I just started keeping a 16 oz mason jar of room temperature water in my bathroom and chug it every morning when I wake up, BEFORE I do anything else. It’s amazing how much this makes a difference.
Sugar… it’s bad duh! But, why is it so bad?
- Carbs are NOT bad! As long as you are eating good carbs.
- Microbiome. Sounds boring? But, so interesting!
The second section is about fitness! You are thinking … “yes, I know, I need to workout more. OKAY!” Nope. There is more to it 🙂
- The history of why going to the gym and planning for your workout has become a much needed priority today.
- The evolution of technology … CRAZY to see how technology has affected our movement!
- What happens when you do NOT move.
- “Energy In, Energy Out” very interesting topic! Energy = LIFE!
- Break down of bones, muscles, and system functions.
- Sleep is so important. All technology off! I sleep with a mask now!
The third and final section is about mind! Okay, so you can read this entire book, understand, and agree with everything that is written in it. BUT nothing will change if you don’t DO something. Put your MIND to it!
- Connect body and mind
- Realize your body is NOT the same as the person next to you. LISTEN to your body!
- Break the habits … practice, practice!
- “Nothing’s For Free” … discipline!
Cameron Diaz says this in the book … we are a machine. You would not let your car go months and months without an oil change would you? Or if you do, is it still functioning correctly? We function at our bests when we eat the right foods to give us energy, drink enough water, and keep moving. If we lay on the couch for days and eat cake and potato chips for days, our machine slowly breaks down over time.
The year is coming to an end and I know the most popular New Year’s Resolution is to lose weight, be healthy, etc. THIS book will help you keep your resolution. Of course, I cannot promise it will help you keep it, because ONLY YOU can make that change. This book will help you in the right direction.
This post was a very helpful read! I loved the tip about having water prepared the night before so you drink it FIRST thing. I’m so going to try that! I have to literally set a timer each day to get all my or suggested water intake in because the day goes by so fast when you are focused on so mnay positive things. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book. Another good read I just came across….. “be the mom overcome attitude traps and enjoy your kids” by Tracey Lanter Eyster from Focus on the family. I’ve just started reading this….SO good. Maybe this might be your next book pick!
I am happy you enjoyed this post! I will definitely look into that book! Thanks!