We are nearing the end of the 2013 Fall Bucket List! This weekend I crossed another thing off the list and made Mini Apple Pies inspired by Little Bit Funky’s recipe! I decided that mini apple pies would be a lot easier for Monte’s hands to eat and carry around. Of course I made some changes and also halved the recipe.
Makes 18 individual apple pies
4 cups chopped apples – Approximately 4 apples depending on the size. You can also peel the apples, I chose not to.
7 Tablespoons flour
3/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 Tablespoons chilled butter, cut into smaller pieces
2 boxes of Pillsbury pie crusts – not frozen, refrigerated
1. Peel (if you choose to) and chop up your apples into bite size pieces. Approximately 1/2 inch in size.
2. Place apple pieces, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a large bowl and combine well.
3. Unroll first pie crust. Use the ring of a mason jar. Make sure you use a QUART ring, NOT pint. Her recipe did not specify this and I started using a pint ring and my circles were way too small for the muffin tins. I was little mad after spending all that time making perfect circles :/ Using a quart size is perfect!
4. Place the circles into each muffin slot. Pinch the edges on top creating a hammock in the muffin slot.
5. Place your apple mixture into the center of each crust. Fill until slightly mounded.
6. Take your butter pieces and add a piece on top of each pie.
7. Take whatever leftover dough, you may have and place strips on top of each pie.
8. Brush with melted butter.
9. Bake in oven at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. You may give or take a few minutes depending on your oven!
I love how well these hold together! I was concerned they would not stay together well and crumble. You could make all varieties of pies using this basic recipe! Enjoy!
What variety of pie would you make?