As you’ve heard by now Expressing Motherhood is coming to Des Moines February 20, 2016 at the Stoner Theater (inside the Civic Center). Ashlen from The Kidsperts is the local producer and co-director of the play. We’re just two short months away from our submission date (October 19) and people have been asking a lot of questions about submissions and the play in general! Here are the need-to-knows of Expressing Motherhood:
- Expressing Motherhood is a National play, founded in 2008 by two stay at home moms in Los Angeles. The play has traveled to Boston, New York, Chicago, and (this fall) San Francisco and Sioux Falls, SD. The show consists of around 10 people performing their stories about motherhood on stage. You don’t need experience to be in this play–it was made for the amateur performer (and really, there’s all a little amateur performer in all of us).
- Submissions are accepted ONE DAY ONLY on October 19, 2015. Send submission pieces to email@example.com.
- Submissions should be a specific story telling your experience with motherhood. That being said, you don’t need to be a mom to be cast, just have a story about motherhood. Monologues, skits, songs, and dances are all welcome to tell your story. Your story can be sad, funny, embarrassing, etc. as long as it captures the aspects of motherhood.
- Submission pieces should be around 5 minutes long when read aloud.
- Before you submit your work, make sure you are available for all rehearsals and shows. Rehearsals will be held Thursday February 18, 2016 from 10 – 2 and Friday February 19, 2016 from 10 – 2. Showtimes are Saturday February 20, 2016 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets will be on sale soon through Ticketmaster and/or at the Civic Center box office (221 Walnut St., Des Moines, IA 50309).
Read more about Expressing Motherhood on their website and find Expressing Motherhood on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (using the hashtag #exmoshow). Also be sure to check out creator Lindsay Kavet’s new Podcast on iTunes, where Lindsay speaks with creative moms about their projects and how they balance life.
If you have any additional questions regarding the Des Moines Expressing Motherhood shows, please email Ashlen at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Keep up to date with the latest news regarding the Expressing Motherhood show in Des Moines, follow the Kidsperts on Facebook and/or sign up for our newsletter.
About the Author
Ashlen Sheaffer is a proud Des Moines resident who was born and raisedhere. Ashlen wears many hats: mom, wife, daycare provider at her in-home daycare, blogger and co-owner at The Kidsperts, children’s book aut
hor, and co-director and producer for the upcoming play Expressing Motherhood play. In her free time Ashlen enjoys exploring all DesMoines has to offer, road trips, and adventuring all with the kids in tow. Ashlen is super excited to be able to share some of her family’s adventuring with other Iowans and get other families out into the community.